DATE: November 27th at 8.30h
A complete excursion to the heart of medieval Catalonia, land of abbots and counts, combining a pleasant and easy 10km walk along the old railroad line, a guided walk in Ripoll and an optional visit to the monastery of Sant Joan de les Abadesses and the Interpretation Center of Count Arnau.
– IRON AND COAL ROUTE
The “Iron and Coal Route” connects Sant Joan de les Abadesses and Ripoll along the old railroad line that transported coal and iron from the Ogassa mines to Ripoll. The path, 10km long, is very flat and passes through very beautiful places, often next to the river.
– MONASTERIES OF SANT JOAN DE LES ABADESSES AND RIPOLL
Sant Joan de les Abadesses, a town with a recent past of marked industrial character, has managed to maintain its medieval legacy and preserves many buildings, streets, walls and medieval nomenclature. Located on the banks of the Ter, in the Girona region of Ripollès, the town preserves a number of monuments, especially Romanesque. Among them are the monastery of Sant Joan de les Abadesses, the parish church of Sant Pol, the Old Bridge, the Abbey Palace, the wall and the main street. Sant Joan is also closely linked to the legend of Count Arnau, the best known and most popular of all the spirits and souls in pain in Catalonia. A mythological and literary character, he has his origins in a traditional Catalan song, possibly appearing in Ripoll at the end of the 16th century.
– INTERPRETATION CENTER OF THE “COMTE ARNAU”.
Ideal to understand the magic that surrounds the figure of Count Arnau and the importance and influence that this legendary character has had and has in the folklore, history, music and Catalan literature.
– 8:30h: We will meet at Plaza Universitat to take our private bus.
– 10-10.30h: Brief breakfast/coffee in Sant Joan de les Abadesses
– 10.30-12h: Guided tour of the monastery and the Comte Arnau interpretation center. The visit (5 euros) is optional!
– 12-15: Hike to Ripoll along the greenway (old railway line)
– 15-17h: Free time to eat in Ripoll
– 17-18h: Guided tour in Ripoll
– 18h: Return bus, arriving in Barcelona around 7:30 p.m.
LANGUAGES: Spanish and Catalan
TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION OF THE WALK:
– Level: Easy (but a minimum of physical condition is required)
– Total distance: 10km
– Accumulated difference in altitude: negligible (it is a wide and totally flat trail).
– Duration: 2-3 hours approx.
If the weather forecast is bad or the situation generated by the Covid19 prevents us from doing so, the excursion will be postponed.
DATES: November 27, 2021
ACCOMPANYING GUIDE: TONI BELLIDO
|Plaça Universitat (main entrance of the University of Barcelona)
|DAY AND HOUR
|Saturday, November 27, at 8:30 a.m.